Thursday, February 16, 2012

A Great Valentine's Wine

So, I took my bride out for a fancy meal this past Valentine's Day at The Little Village in downtown Baton Rouge.  Neither of us had eaten dinner at its new location, which was lovely.  We got things started with some Mumm Napa Valley Prestige at the bar, and then settled down at a nice table for two (although it felt a bit like a table for six as the couples on either side of us were seated pretty close to our table - at one point, a couple two tables down got engaged, it felt like I was being proposed to, which was both awkward and kinda flattering...but I digress). 

As we heard about the dinner specials and began to scout the menu, it was clear one of us was going red meat and the other seafood.  What wine to order?  It would need to be versatile enough to accompany steak and fish, both prepared in our local, South Louisiana style - somewhat heavy, rich, with some spice.  And, it is Valentine's Day and I need all the brownie points I can get, so it needed to be at least a slight "splurge".   We landed on a bottle (or two...who's counting?) of 2009 Foxen Pinot Noir Santa Maria Valley.


Now, I've had Foxen a time or two, and read about the hilarious antics at its tasting room in the Sideways novels, but this wine snuck up on me.  It was juicy and very fruit-forward - very California - but nicely balanced with enough richness and heft to compliment my Valentine's filet mignon, and delicate enough match my grilled mahi mahi.  The wine also had a streak of acidity and a nice, clean finish that made it really food-friendly.  We are planning to visit the Foxen winery in Santa Barbara County while we are vacationing there in May, and I hope to sample some more of their offerings.

A fine wine for a great, South Louisiana meal...and I think I managed to score some brownie points.  Winner, winner, Valentine's dinner.  What wines did you (re)discover this Valentine's Day?

No comments:

Post a Comment